Friday, May 3, 2013

Rose Continues to Sit as Bulls Struggle

http://www.chicagonow.com/dutch-oven/files/2013/04/drose-624x351.jpg
While his teammates struggle, Rose continues to watch at the end of the bench
The Brooklyn Nets defeated the Chicago Bulls last night to make the series 3-3 with Game 7 due up Saturday night. The Bulls are battered and bruised, sick and hurt, but that didn't mean they went down without a fight. It was a valiant effort from a team without All-Star Luol Deng, steady guard Kirk Hinrich. On top of that, Joakim Noah, Nate Robinson and Taj Gibson were all sick yet fought through that to contribute mightily. At the end of the game, TNT's crew acknowledged the Nets won the game, but the focus was on how tough the Bulls were.

Chicago did fight to the end and it was fun to watch, however, I was more annoyed and angry after the game than I have been in awhile. As not just a Bulls fan, but a sports fan in general, Derrick Rose drew my ire as I watched him sit there in a suit and watch as his sick and hurt teammates failed to close out the series on their home court. I've gone back and forth on the Rose issue and whether or not he should be on the court. I was angry last night so I decided to sleep on it rather than spilling my emotions on this blog post. However, my feelings haven't changed about the matter.

Rose sitting on the bench at this point is a mockery. It's a joke. It's been a full calendar year almost. He's been cleared by doctors, he's practiced, he's warmed up before games, he's got his lateral movement back, he's fine. Do I personally know he's fine? No I don't, but I haven't heard one source say he's not ready to play. Yet there he is at the end of the bench acting as another coach, jumping around in celebration and distracting TNT and ESPN cameras at every dead ball.

Prior to Game 1 of the series Joakim Noah was questionable due to injury, but he still played and said in an interview that he wouldn't miss the game for anything. Last night Nate Robinson was throwing up in a trash can during timeouts, but he said that you have to do what you have to do to win the game sometimes. Both Noah and Hinrich have been playing on one leg basically, but have given the Bulls quality minutes. Robinson was good again last night despite feeling ill. But where's Rose?

Listen, I understand the severity of Rose's injury. I really do. I have friends who have suffered that injury and I know the mental struggle that comes with the rehab process. Here's what I'm saying though: this is Rose's job and this is his obligation. Sometimes you have to go to work when you aren't feeling 100 percent. That's just the way life is. If my parents didn't go to work every day they woke up and weren't quite feeling it then they would be fired.

To make it even more of a joke David Lee played last night. In case you didn't know, Lee tore his hip flexor in Game 1 of the Warriors-Nuggets series and was supposed to be done for the playoffs. He made a surprise comeback last night and helped Golden State close out the series. So let me get this straight. A guy who just tore his hip flexor went out there and played, but Rose can't get out there after almost a calendar year?

Let's stop making excuses for the guy too. The idea that he shouldn't play because this team isn't "built for a championship" is stupid. So what if it's not? It's still his job to be out there on the floor. If this team isn't built for a championship then do we just tell Noah to shut it down and rest up for next year? Should Deng just forget about it and stay in bed? I don't get it.

I know there is a chance that he could re-injure himself, but there will be a chance of that next year as well. Rose owes it to his teammates to get out there and give them 15-25 minutes. As a former athlete I'm not sure how you sit there in a suit and watch your teammate throw up in a trash can during timeouts and not feel guilty. I'm not sure how you watch Noah and Hinrich play through pain and not feel guilty. You have guys leaving it all out there on the floor and you have the star player scared to step foot in between the lines.

Rose's injury was severe and he only 24 years old. It's a risk to play, but it's always going to be a risk to play. Again, that excuse has gotten old. The doctors have cleared him, he's been practicing and his team needs him. That sounds like all the ingredients for a comeback. 

The Bulls backcourt last night was a sick Nate Robinson and rookie Marquis Teague. That sure doesn't sound like playoff material to me. Rose could have helped and he would have helped. It's time to stop talking around this subject. Is he going to play or not? Well I'll tell you what will really set me off. If Rose plays against Miami in the second round (assuming the Bulls win Game 7) I will lose it. There is no difference from last night to next week and he could have helped Chicago end the series quicker.

If I was a teammate of Rose's it would be hard for me to speak with him right now. He doesn't know the struggle and he shouldn't act like he does. At this point it looks like Rose isn't truly invested like we thought. He's never been mentally tough and he's clearly cementing that thought right now. His team needs him, but he isn't going to answer the call. He says he would die for the game and he can't wait to get back out there. Does he really? I'm not seeing it.

The playoffs are winning time. A team needs a full arsenal and the Bulls don't have that right now. Almost the entire roster is doing whatever they can to be on the floor and to help this team win. Then there is one guy who appears to be doing whatever he can to NOT be on the floor. I never thought I would question the MVP Derrick Rose, but I am now. Your team needs you D.Rose. Time to recognize that.

No comments:

Post a Comment